Tuesday, 28 March 2017

Traveling IN



"Gotta do it “FOR THE GRAM!", I said sarcastically as I held the *RECORD* button on my phone. After losing trail for almost an hour, we managed to reach our destination, and despite not having cell service since we'd arrived in Escalante, we miraculously picked up a signal in the middle of nowhere, perched on a desert dome. I pulled my cameras out for some photos/video, we explored the area for a while, and we sat and enjoyed some silence. What did we do next? We FaceTimed Kyle's pregnant wife who was taking it easy back home. It was a quick, pleasant conversation to let her know Kyle was thinking about her, and that he was safe, and enjoying himself.

I know what you're probably thinking. Actually, I know the dozens of things that you're probably thinking. Why? Because I've likely thought of them already myself. They range anywhere from, "Awww, how sweet of Kyle...", to "What the hell are you doing on your phone at a time like that?" 

Social Media has changed our lives, whether you like it or not. And I would guess that like me, you hear more criticisms than praise. People talk about how "fake" it is. Constantly. And I sometimes agree. Hell, I decided to delete my Facebook account last year because of the exposure to so much political propaganda, and other related garbage. Since then, I don't think I've missed much, other than everyone's birthday (my sincerest apologies). But let's be real for a minute. It's not all fake. It's a great way for us to share our experiences, our causes, and to stay connected. It's like almost anything in this world - it can be a tool for good, or one that is far less healthy. But Social Media is not ruining our lives, our self esteem, or our experiences... WE ARE. That girl you're judging on IG... the one who posed just off the side of the road....in that 'didn't require any effort' location...in that 'so not appropriate for hiking' outfit...who got 2,500 likes.... Ya, I know. It's nauseating. But why? What is actually going on here? Why have we decided that she thinks her life is superior to ours? Or why have we decided that our lives are superior to hers? That she doesn't deserve attention because she didn't earn it? That the only way she can support her narcissistic life is to push some bullshit product using her Insta-fame? Well, I've got a surprise for you: This isn't about her. Not at all. It's about you. All those judgements you have about her? ::NEWS FLASH:: They're really judgements you have about yourself. Maybe you don't see that directly, but by placing her on some internal scale of yours, you've place yourself somewhere else on that scale. And inevitably, you'll place someone above you. And below you, again. And the vicious cycle continues...

Now let me stop myself for a quick little **PSA** on outdoor/technology etiquette. There is a time and a place to be on your phone in the outdoors. Let's respect those that don't want to hear our music, be a bystander in our Live IG Feeds, and for God's sake, please don't pitch your camera, hammock, or TENT in the middle of everyone's view so you can get your "epic shot". It's disrespectful, and most certainly deserves an eye-roll, public mockery, or a moderately respectful "talking to". Kyle and I were on our phones because we were alone. We have the opportunity to enjoy the outdoors regularly. We respect the people around us. We value the opportunity to "disconnect", but we also don't feel the need to every time we're in the wild. Sure, these may sound like excuses. I don't know why the idea of seeing hundreds of people on their phones while taking in a beautiful view bothers me,  but it sometimes still does. It just feels so....obnoxious. But barring any blatant disrespect for other people's space, it's really none of my business. And what device you decide to capture your moments, really doesn't matter.  

Now, I'm not going to suggest that you adopt a "just stop judging people" approach to this problem. It takes some effort. And sometimes that effort requires changing the way you see, and feel about yourself first. But judging people may not be your problem. Your problem may be that you need attention. You might need a distraction from your "real life". Your problem may be that you feel some people on Social Media are better than you. Or more successful than you. I am going to tell you, that you're not alone. That we all struggle with ourselves, and sometimes our worth. We are sometimes, without a doubt, our greatest adversaries. 

But as Alan Watts often (with a laugh) says after painting such a dire picture of ourselves: "Cheer up." It's not all doom-and-gloom. 

I've spent the last two years of my life exploring beautiful places. I've gone out - farther and higher than I imagined. I've shared my experiences with you. Thank you for your kindness, your inspiration, and for some of you, your companionship. Some of these places were peaceful and welcoming. Some were terrifying and uncomfortable. I don't regret a minute of it. NOT...ONE...MINUTE. 

But there are adventures you haven't seen. They're the ones that have taken me "in" - too, farther than I imagined. I've been exploring, consciously, for a little while now. I haven't shared most of these journeys with you, and you won't likely hear about them going forward - at least not until I'm a comfortable distance away. But still, and again, thank you for your kindness, your inspiration, and for a very small number of you, your companionship. Because like my outward adventures, going "in" can be peaceful and welcoming, and it can be terrifying and uncomfortable. But no matter how intense the experience, I have no intention of stopping - out, or in. 

It's taken me a while to know what I've been looking for, but I'm slowly starting to realize that it's simple. I'm looking for the truth. The truth about who I am. Who you are. And more clearly, who you and I aren't. No labels, no roles. We're not our thoughts. We're not our bodies. We're not our cars. We're not our clothes. We're not our neighborhood. We're not even our talents. Who we are? I suggest heading "in" ;) ...